Contributors

Friday, April 15, 2011

'My Bud Light' Commercial


Recently Bud Light released their newest Marketing strategy, 'My Bud Light'. Bud Light is the number one selling beer in the world and has become a staple in the marketing industry for their funny, witty and breakthrough commercials. Some of them are funny. The "Real Men of Genius," radio spots were hilarious and memorable. Some are not so funny. The most recent Bud Light change has been the 'My Bud Lite Packaging'. “This new bottle is one of the many ways we can bring Bud Light’s fun personality to life,” said Mike Sundet, senior director, Bud Light. “Bud Light drinkers are always looking for fun, quirky ways to express themselves, and the My Bud Light bottle offers them a canvas to do just that.”

That's literally the gayest statement I've ever heard from a beer executive. I thinks its a stupid idea that won't catch on just like all of the other quirky things beer companies do to try and make there product better than the next one on the shelf. (Blue Mountains-Coors light, Vortex bottle-Miller Lite,) Labbatt Blue has never done anything like this, just throwing that out there. This isn't a rant on the bottle, it doesn't bother me that much. The commercial, however, is the most awful thing I have ever seen.

It's impossible to find online, I've spent the last 20 minutes looking for it on youtube, budlight.com, their official facebook page, etc. Ill try and do my best to describe it. Two younger gentleman, one black, one white have cases of the new my Bud Light bottles. One is marking them as invitations for a party and randomly handing them out to attractive women around what seems to be his apartment complex in very clever ways. This is the first issue I have with this commercial. As the director, you have to establish that this is a realistic scenario, that this trick would actually work to get girls to your party. What girl would accept a bottle of beer in the middle of the day from a random stranger. Honestly they deserve to get in trouble for this. Girls wonder why they always find themselves in compromising positions. It's the creepiest thing of all time.

Fast forward to the, awesomely cool and hip party scene in the apartment. The creepy black guy who just gave away all the beer to random girls, is dancing by himself next to his other friend from the first scene. It's the most awkward dance ever and as I previously mentioned, HE IS BY HIMSELF. Who continues to dance by themselves when their friend is right next to them asking a question? His answer to the question is comedic genius.

White Guy, "How many of these invitations did you give out?"
Black Guy, "About 28 cases."

Pure gold.

I can't stand this commercial on so many levels. "Bud Light drinkers are always looking for fun, quirky ways to express themselves." I guess being a creep who dances weird is the new cool thing. Ill stick to Blue Light.




No comments:

Post a Comment